Monday, August 16, 2010

The Black Witch Moth That Stayed For 2 Days

So there I was at the hose faucet filling up my watering can when I looked up and saw this huge moth.  I ran in got my camera and proceeded to take these pictures.  This moth may not look like anything special to you, but moth-ers, not mothers. will know that this MOTH is special. 

I believe this moth is a Black Witch. Now the Black Witch has special meaning in  naturalitistic folklore, amongst other things. Their wingspans are about 3 1/2 to 6 inches long. This one was about 5 inches.Their usual habitat is tropical and subtropical forests where pea trees grow. They hide by day whereever they can find shade (under an eaves trough looks good I guess) in this moths case.

Personally any moth with a wingspan of nearly 6 inches is always a thrill to see, whether it's a Luna, or any of the other more common Moths.  But this one I know is unique and different, and it was a delight to see in my neck of the woods.

The photos above were on Day 1, Yesterday.

Today I found Our Black Witch who's visiting our neck of woods for 2 days now, on the side of our huge maple tree. The photo shoot was great. I got as close as I wanted (close enough to see the "fur') and proceeded to shoot the black witch from every which way.  Backwards Upside Down, Up Under, and all points in between. The results are below.



No comments:

Post a Comment